Saturday, October 24, 2015

Prologue

[on page one]

Darling Jocelyn,

After weeks spent apart from you, I can tell you that I am well. I miss your cheek on my pillow and countless other things I find inappropriate to include in a letter.

I am writing because Anastasia has forwarded me what you have been working on. I have only read bits and pieces. It is really good Jocelyn. I cannot believe you have been working on this without even asking me for help. I would have been happy to write to one of my contacts and you may have had a book deal on your hands. I don't know now.

Please do tell me you will write the second part. I want to know the end, or rather, the beginning. I want to know your beginning. I keep thinking maybe if I figured you out sooner, we still could have found a way to make it work. Alas, this is not meant to be a reconciliation letter.

Anastasia says you are tired. I do not understand what she means by that. What is causing your exhaustion? I wish we would speak. I wish Mother never meddled. 

Please write me and tell me if you'd like to meet. I would like to help you publish this novel. You have achieved the impossible - you have rewritten the past. 

I sometimes close my eyes and imagine the new world your ancestors immigrated to. I imagine the New York that welcomed Adam. I imagine it all and want a clear picture. 

Please write me Jocelyn.

Yours,

Paul 

-----
[on page two]

Dear Paul,

I am surprised you found an interest in my writing.

Yes, there will be a second instalment. I am currently working on it at grandaddy's ranch in NM. Please do come by if you would like to chat. I am not coming to NYC - possibly ever again. Too many memories. Our history written on the walls.

I will now only access NYC through Adam's journals and photographs and whatever records I can get my hands on. 

Come to the ranch; come ride with me. 
All is not lost, all is not lost. 

Jocey 

No comments:

Post a Comment