We stare at the moon
staring back at us;
You say my flesh is torn from celestial
breath.
I say your bones were made in the
furnace of Ancient Greece so long ago
Fashioned fiercely and made from slab.
Michaelangelo.
Our tongue twisters survive the night
and I only win because I was created before you --
Weary of the old world order
and thrown from the skies at such a tender
age.
When the new moon comes
I will appear bright and compact
on your doorstep
Made to outlast you, to conquer you;
made to finish you.
We promise not to fall into mortals' patterns
not because we are godlike but because we are
artists.
When two creators fall in love,
there are no survivors in the end.
I claim you and you claim me--
eating each other up
into the hurt fresh cold morning.
You delicately witness me
and we walk into the ocean
limbs free and moving with the music
that is absent
and with its absence it beats against my cheek
my heart
my ribs
so loudly.
I experience your earth like a wade pool
Here we lie
here we stroke
here we speak into one another
with the fierce conviction of truth and at dusk
we wake up having never gone to sleep.
Mute and curious,
we search for ourselves in the
other
two aliens uncreated but beating loudly
into existence
like a still heartbeat waiting to
pulse.
You make me the way you make movies -
calmly.
I fashion you the way I write -
from my own existence.
I walk away from us having
contributed nothing but silence
in which you have the space to be.
And this isn't love. This is life to us, this is what I've been waiting for in a land so foreign, in a water that won't move with me inside it. The earth - a still globe against which we traverse into the next time period. So still, so young, so silent and weary. I stretch my limbs on the sand that, with its softness, fashions my shadows so real. I stand up tall and walk away quietly into the woods and wait by the clearing for you to wake. I wait and wait and by the time you don't come, I've already started again.
Another moon, another echo from the celestial familiarity from which I sprung so daintily into the mortals' world. I don't understand nostalgia because I am always creating new worlds, burning old feelings and finding my next heartbeat in a new you.
When you reach out to me, mornings mornings mornings valleys away from today, I don't exist.
I have a heartbeat.
I am new.
I exist.
*

No comments:
Post a Comment