Ring ring ring
"Hello?"
"Annabelle?"
"Oh, hi Vero", Annabelle rolled her eyes and fell back on the bed looking at the crystal chandelier above her head.
"Annabelle, you didn't tell me the news in person at uni! Congratulations! Who is this Paul? I feel like you've barely gotten to know him"
"Oh, he's mommy's first pick and he has properties in London UK which obviously is quite important to me. I can always travel back home where I really feel like I belong you know"
"That's too cute", Vero is basically bursting at the seams and Annabelle rolls her eyes again.
"Yes, it's very exciting. My program in New York is nearly done and what else was I gonna do with Art History? It's not like I've created anything". Annabelle sighs deeply and lifts her legs up to the ceiling to inspect the gap between her thighs. Good, bigger gap.
"Well, anyways I just wanted to congratulate you personally" Veronica gives a short giggle, makes an excuse to quickly get off the phone and the two hang up. No drama. No muss no fuss. What a fake.
Annabelle pulls a camel hair sweater on and slips on thick wool socks. She makes herself a big cup of coffee. She has two more exams before the end of the year. The wedding will be in a year in Oxford. She was told by her parents that her great-grandmother Ada adored Oxford. She calls Ada Grandmother or Mammie or Grandmammmmieeeee because she never met her actual grandmother. Unfortunately, her grandmother, Edith, Ada's daughter, succumbed to influenza when Annabelle was very little. The curse to outlive your child remained strong in the de Deckel line. Annabelle adored everything old, everything vintage, everything with a bit of dust on it.
Annabelle is bright and shiny. Paul - I wish you could help me with this portion. Am I describing her well? Am I being unfair? Should I emphasize her intellectual achievements?I realized a long time ago that your edits were cruel and vulgar and that I'm a better writer without you in my life.
Annabelle is bright and shiny. Despite how beautiful she is, she is un c a p t u r a b l e. She likes spaghetti sauce, Proust, the folkloric dances of the Netherlands which she dances well when reunited with her community at fancy New York galas. Annabelle is the entire beauty of autumnal New York dressed head to toe in Chanel. Her chestnut hair, her sad eyes, her tall tall stature waiting like Lady Liberty for you to embrace her and tuck her in while you recite Hitchcock scripts in her delicate ear with the lights off, the mystical street lamp seducing her little girl eyelashes still and slumbering underneath huge Christmas trees adorned by her mother weeks before the big day. Annabelle is L'Avventura, Annabelle is Audrey Hepburn in Funny Face, she is a Nabokov letter to Vera, Annabelle has forgotten how beautiful she is because she believes life is a To Do list written in impeccable calligraphy by her Mother. Annabelle who adores Ada. Annabelle who shadows Ada. Annabelle Annabelle Annabelle.
I smoke a cigarette and walk the square footage of my New York apartment over and over and over until Annabelle becomes my character. I create her, I erase her, I want her, I need her. In fact, I must finish my novel and am running out of time. She is my sister, my half. She is the other side of the coin that is me.
-------------------
Une petite histoire - O&E
Paul waits patiently for Annabelle to park the car in the underground lot before heading over to enjoy the Nutcracker one very cold December evening. The stars sparkle, the entire evening is darker and darker with first. Paul has butterflies in his stomach. She does not come. For a long time, she does not come. Paul, enchanted by the evening, does not come until the final hour. He heads downstairs and descends, and descends, and descends. At the last moment, Annabelle shouts for him. She's actually above him somehow which means they must have missed one another. She intimates that she will descend for him but he firmly says no. "Go on up, don't look down my darling otherwise we'll never make it above ground" She listens.
Did Orpheus not listen well or did he just love better?*
*Please do not make this about yourself, Joce. (note to self)
"Annabelle, you didn't tell me the news in person at uni! Congratulations! Who is this Paul? I feel like you've barely gotten to know him"
"Oh, he's mommy's first pick and he has properties in London UK which obviously is quite important to me. I can always travel back home where I really feel like I belong you know"
"That's too cute", Vero is basically bursting at the seams and Annabelle rolls her eyes again.
"Yes, it's very exciting. My program in New York is nearly done and what else was I gonna do with Art History? It's not like I've created anything". Annabelle sighs deeply and lifts her legs up to the ceiling to inspect the gap between her thighs. Good, bigger gap.
"Well, anyways I just wanted to congratulate you personally" Veronica gives a short giggle, makes an excuse to quickly get off the phone and the two hang up. No drama. No muss no fuss. What a fake.
Annabelle pulls a camel hair sweater on and slips on thick wool socks. She makes herself a big cup of coffee. She has two more exams before the end of the year. The wedding will be in a year in Oxford. She was told by her parents that her great-grandmother Ada adored Oxford. She calls Ada Grandmother or Mammie or Grandmammmmieeeee because she never met her actual grandmother. Unfortunately, her grandmother, Edith, Ada's daughter, succumbed to influenza when Annabelle was very little. The curse to outlive your child remained strong in the de Deckel line. Annabelle adored everything old, everything vintage, everything with a bit of dust on it.
Annabelle is bright and shiny. Paul - I wish you could help me with this portion. Am I describing her well? Am I being unfair? Should I emphasize her intellectual achievements?
I smoke a cigarette and walk the square footage of my New York apartment over and over and over until Annabelle becomes my character. I create her, I erase her, I want her, I need her. In fact, I must finish my novel and am running out of time. She is my sister, my half. She is the other side of the coin that is me.
-------------------
Une petite histoire - O&E
Paul waits patiently for Annabelle to park the car in the underground lot before heading over to enjoy the Nutcracker one very cold December evening. The stars sparkle, the entire evening is darker and darker with first. Paul has butterflies in his stomach. She does not come. For a long time, she does not come. Paul, enchanted by the evening, does not come until the final hour. He heads downstairs and descends, and descends, and descends. At the last moment, Annabelle shouts for him. She's actually above him somehow which means they must have missed one another. She intimates that she will descend for him but he firmly says no. "Go on up, don't look down my darling otherwise we'll never make it above ground" She listens.
Did Orpheus not listen well or did he just love better?*
*Please do not make this about yourself, Joce. (note to self)
No comments:
Post a Comment