Monday, January 9, 2012

Analog

Stained-glass windows at the Art Gallery of Ontario. Tried to catch the last September rays. This room was cool because it literally had one scultpure laid on the floor against these massive windows. The sculpture was a woman's face. A white face on the floor. There was also an old record player Lou Reed'ing over and over...and over.
It isn't that I miss Toronto. I want to write it into me again. To ground myself. I'm in a new place again starting over. I'm holding on. ...kinda. I'm a goddamn crab so I take 23534 steps forward and a few back to make sure I'm going the right way.



















I took these the last days of summer. Summer wasn't honey coated this time around. My winter is. I'm listening to this Dido song I haven't blasted since I crossed the Mediterranean a few years ago. I was coming into Italy from Spain. The earth was sorta slowly glowing. With these lazy hazy lights raising from the ground.


The world was a blur and I was this bold stroke against it.



I guess I was blurry this summer. Now I'm coming into focus . Slowly. What's that mean anyways? I've been here all along.












I work a lot and my teaching is rewarding. I prep this reading Comprehension book every week for a grade 4 class. One of the stories I came across was this historical fiction piece. It was about a Japanese man who wanted to see the world. He settled in Cali for a while but missed Osaka so much he moved back years later. Everytime he was in one place he was homesick for the other. I can relate. I think everyone can. I think it's the hunger that lulls us on. It's the sickness for home that makes us restless.



Toronto is now written into this blog because I didn't materialize out of thin air on the outskirts of Seoul.

-


In more practical news, I have a big book list to finish and here goes in no particular order:

-Sex in Elizabethan England (haw haw)

-Ada or Ardor (Nabokov; OK I'm a quarter done)

-History of Beauty

-The Biology of Laughter

-Prophet (I already finished but it was a hard one -Kahill Gibran)

-The Age of Innocence (OK I'm almost finished this one)
-Beyond Good and Evil

-Short History of Korea (I began)


Uhm that's sorta where I'm at. Let's see if I can finish these by April.


I know...I came to Korea to read. But I have time here. I have time to think, to breathe.

You know, you need to breathe to read.







2 comments:

  1. I'm clearly stalking your blog. But the sex in Elizabethan England is a boring book-I read it last summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HIIII!!!

    Good that you are! At least I know about it and can talk to you!! :) My other friends are like "hey your blog entry made me sad!" Well which one and what was I rambling on about??
    haha

    Really?? It looked racy

    ReplyDelete