Friday, January 11, 2013

Sweat

Sweat. Sweat everywhere. Drenched. The rain that comes from inside our bodies. And pours outside. Roars, violent, violent, virulent rain.

I was going to write something sad.
I won't.
Instead, I'll write something beautiful.

I had dinner with my flatmates today. We have a new friend; she's from Spain. Maria. I'm practicing my Spanish with her. She's great.

We were planning to have a party when Brazil is having Carnaval.
Alex's girlfriend kept texting him and it was funny to see him complain. But he loves her so much. Here's his story.
Maria asks how they met. He smiles. He is trying to explain in a broken Spanish (he speaks portuguese of course) and I'm trying to help as well. It's fun...this dance with language. I love it.
So, he tells us they met one New Year's eve. Him and his friends went to a party. It was on the sea. Brazil has many spirits they have to honour. One of them is Yemanja. She is a water goddess. People need to step on waves 7 times on New Years to appease her.
He was drunk. With friends. Jumping on waves. Then..he saw her. The girl who is his girlfriend now.

Alex is a funny and sarcastic guy. But Alex looked childish when he told us that when he saw his girlfriend walk by him, he literally thanked Yemanja for bringing him someone like her on that night.
He didn't say it formally. We were laughing, in a shitty awful kitchen, the light blaring, our empty dirty plates scattered, he was stumbling over words, Maria wasn't understanding everything, I was distracted and laughing more than I should like I do when I'm sadder and then..he said those words. And we all understood.

I was going to write something sad. But, it seems a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment