Since I have given up the feathery
Confused
Episodes of Self-Doubt,
I must say
I must confess, actually, that I remain vulnerable to the whim of anxiety. And while it eats at me, I know I have to face it. So I replace it with creation.
*
We met on the beach a long time ago
Before we knew we met
Before I recognised you on the other side
where the waves brought in
something different all the time.
And we look inside,
Separately.
Working all the time takes its toll on you baby.
It does but if we don't work,
who stays up at night to build all the worlds
that our own work fashions out of us?
What nocturnal monster
lies awake hungry and anxious?
Well we look inside,
Separately.
I meet you down the street.
You - in your suit. Tall.
And I want to hold you like we did
that first night.
But you don't hold me;
You just look at me.
We look inside,
Separately.
And we never met on the beach at all,
and our work will stay put if we walk away
like we did that first time I tried
to walk away from you
but you stopped me because
of the Anxiety.
People don't change.
We look outside,
Together.
So we talk as if we didn't look inside each other
this whole time,
As if I don't know your demons
and as if you don't know mine.
Under this ethereal realm of
Upper Class Talk,
you reach out for me in the
centre of our round ocean living above us
at this table
in this bar
at this moment
in this city
and I -
Reach back.

No comments:
Post a Comment