stand guard beside the gorgeous
pines.
I see the landscape spread out like an Americana glitter bag, spilling its guts
I see the landscape spread out like an Americana glitter bag, spilling its guts
Spilling
its glory,
Spilling everything.
Paul swerves a little to the left to avoid a small pothole
in the middle of the gravel path.
I hear the gravel path extend with luxurious delicious
gravel sounds that seem to go on forever. I’m so cold inside my heavy fur coat.
I look outside the window while the gravel extends, while my skin won’t warm
up, I seem to be waiting forever, I’m anxious that this is the end, this is the
end and I can’t see it coming for miles.
“Well hello hello” a handsome chap of about 29
exclaims with hands full of champagne and an argyle sweater of purple and
maroon from about 1925.
I raise my eyebrows and make the face I know Paul
doesn’t get. My alter ego, my brother, my
lover of body and soul, and all things obscure, you will never quite understand
me. This is a footnote, darling, I hope you will never read this, you were
perfect all along, I never had the strength to wait it out. Isn’t that
what this is all about? I am immediately pulled out from a troubling
melancholia by her.
She stands at the middle of it all like nectar. She
stands at the middle of it all.
Nectar.
She is nectar.
With strawberry blonde hair dyed and re-dyed like
Byzantine cotton, she smiles in contra pose to the other side of the room. I
face the back of her. Like a museum goer, I witness the machinations fueling
the fascinating phenomenon of holding her own. She, the statue, tall, bigger
than life and gorgeous.
She turns around and I now see her in portrait. A
kaleidoscope of facets shown to me, free of charge, so early on, with such
candid spirit, in the middle of a gathering of impoverished contemporary minds.
I think I could smell Paul’s involvement miles away. I
felt his hurt while we were still making headway on the highway of gravel,
unknowing, undreaming of this moment. Innocent flashbacks, we were, of this place
in time where it would all unfold like a rose blossoming too soon.
Brown eye, porcelain skin, and a small freckle at the
bottom of the staircase that leads to her left eye, it is all miraculous. A
gazebo of flattery, an asylum for the weak-hearted, I kneel with baited breath at
the altars of flesh.
She is wearing a white dress, backless and dazzling.
Who am I, what is my name, what is my purpose but to sweep my black hair back
in waves and wait out the climax. She comes towards me with the warmth of an
Icelandic spring and reaches to kiss me on both cheeks.
“Jocey, I have heard so much about you”
I stare in shock with eyes wide open and await the synopsis
of my life to be recited carefully by this beautiful red mouth.
I say nothing.
She looks surprised and worried, and says “Well
obviously only the best bits of course!”
There is only tension on my part of course, because I
am enamoured with her. She is Muse, capital M fucking Muse, and I am in love
with her.
“That’s so nice” I say and I hate how squeaky I can
sound when I’m nervous.
“I loooooooove
what you’re wearing” she says. She twirls me around like I am a show pony and
exposes my backless dress to a few more guests, she touches my lace dress, my
diamond earrings, she exclaims about my fur and falls in love with the green in
my eyes. She says nothing of my height, which matches hers and nothing at all
of my pedigree which I dare say ranks higher than she can hope to achieve. By
the time she is fidgeting with my wavy undulating warm brown hair, it is too
much. Paul comes in and exclaims,
“Patricia!”
He holds his champagne glass high and contemplates her for a long while before he descends among us again, with the mortals on Earth. They are locked in some transcendental poem of sideways glancing for a very long time and I can’t watch it anymore.
“Patricia!”
He holds his champagne glass high and contemplates her for a long while before he descends among us again, with the mortals on Earth. They are locked in some transcendental poem of sideways glancing for a very long time and I can’t watch it anymore.
I get a drink, then another then another. I do a line
and begin feeling transcendental myself.
By the time I face myself in the mirror at 2am it’s
time to go and I can’t imagine the cold feeling in the car on the gravel path
again and again and again.
I close my eyes and imagine Warmth.
The feeling is this:
I imagine warmth.
I imagine warmth.
I want to cry but I just picture my granddaddy taming
a horse. I do another line. The episode I am ashamed to write is this:
I come up
the hallway like some mythical creature, crawling on all fours yet luxuriating
in the sacrifice. I imagine flower wreaths, blood, the works, everything. I can
barely stand at this point and I’m so cold but I have to face it because,
really, it’s now or never.
And I
witness it. It felt like waterfalls, falling from the other side of the
universe, flowing in muted hues of blue and green and black, enchanting the
passer-by in this moment alone, capturing the essence of timelessness yet never
falling prey to the gripping fangs of the cliché, flowing, ever-flowing,
gorgeously effervescent into beauty beauty beauty.
He holds
her back delicately and I am bowled over.
“I just agree that Fitzgerald is the next American
writer, don’t you Joce” some short-haired girl from Tampa keeps asking me even
though I’m obviously as high as anything right now.
“Yeah totally but I was more into Faulkner and Woolf”
I am so out of it and need to get out of here.
“Woolf isn’t American, Joce, come on. Wanna go by the lake?”
“Woolf isn’t American, Joce, come on. Wanna go by the lake?”
She takes me by the hand and leads me to the lake. I
can’t help but imagine Orpheus Orpheus ripped apart by the beasts near fresh
water. I can’t escape.
The feeling is this:
I imagine Cold.
I hear footsteps. Paul is coming down the extended
gravel path. He sees me and his Irish eyes go soft. He is so utterly beautiful.
“Joce, come on we’re going home”
What is home? What is life but searching for home?
On the way back to the hotel, I sulk the entire time and know that in the morning we will be packing for New York again. I loved Vermont. I felt like I could write here and really embrace who I am now that I know my future is certain with Paul.
What is home? What is life but searching for home?
On the way back to the hotel, I sulk the entire time and know that in the morning we will be packing for New York again. I loved Vermont. I felt like I could write here and really embrace who I am now that I know my future is certain with Paul.
Nothing is certain, nothing at all.
By the time dawn descends violently, I am fast asleep
holding onto him.
This is a first goodbye and it feels like the end of a
first act. Paul packs and I watch him go while chain-smoking on the easy chair
on the balcony. I’m still cold and wearing fur.
The feeling is this:
New.
No comments:
Post a Comment